It is now summer, which means I may actually have time to do some cooking again!
Tonight, I am going over to a house of some friends for dinner, and I’m bringing (in their words) a “salad-dessert combo”. (I gave them a list of things I would be very happy to bring, including “some combination thereof”, which then translated into a combined salad-dessert. Yup. Head’s up: Don’t try to take things too literally with me, because I will respond in kind.
So for dessert, we’re having a frozen fruit salad with a cinnamon-lemon “dressing”, and canned whipped-cream.
I’ve sampled it, and it’s gonna be good. 😀
- 1/2-1 1/2 C Strawberries
- 1 C Blueberries
- 1-2 Bananas
- Frozen Cherries
- Glaze / “dressing”
- About 1 Tblsp honey
- About 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- About 1 tsp vanilla
Make the “dressing” / Glaze
In the bowl you will be mixing and freezing from:
- Pour in the honey. Make sure the honey is liquidy. Mine solidifies… frequently. So, in order to use it, I needed to stick it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until it was liquid again. I do things in about increments of 15 seconds at power level 5 at first, and then 7 second intervals to get rid of the lumps. Note that you should do this step first.
- Add the lemon juice. Stir a bit.
- Add the vanilla. Stir more.
- Add cinnamon. Stir vigorously or whisk until completely smooth.
Making the fruit salad
- Slice the fruit into bite-size pieces
- Add the fruit into the bowl with the “dressing”, one type of fruit at a time
- As you add the fruit, stir it in with the glaze.
- Sample as needed to ensure that the fruit and “dressing” really go together. 😉
- Freeze for a while
- I have not done this yet, but stick in refrigerator for probably about an hour before ready to serve. Or bring it out for a few minutes, and let it sit in the summer heat, so that it can partially thaw.
- Divide into individual portions, douse with whipped-cream, and enjoy.